Pages

Saturday 4 October 2008

"THE SHACK"

Lots of people have been talking about this book by William P. Young so when i saw my sister had it i borrowed it straight away. It's not a book that's easy to summarise and i think different things will stand out to different people, depending on the beliefs and conceptions they already hold with regard with to God ... and not just God but everything, because everything finds it's place in Him. And this is mainly a conversation with Him, but in forms that we may not usually imagine.

so i just reccommend you read it.

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

"you rarely see or experience relationship apart from power. Hierarchy imposes laws and rules and you end up missing the wonder of relationship that we intended for you... Authority, as you usually think about it, is merely the excuse the strong use to make others conform to what they want"

"And if there is no reality of good that is absolute, then you have lost any basis for judging. IT IS JUST LANGUAGE, and one might as well exchange the word good for the word evil" (p.135)


"This garden is you soul. This mess is you! Together, you and I, we have been working with a purpose in your heart. And it is wild and beautiful and perfectly in process. To you it seems like a mess, but to me, I see a perfect pattern emerging and growing and alive..." (p.138)
"with [wisdom], everything is normal and elegantly simple. because you are so lost and independent you bring to her many complications and as a result you find even her simplicity profound" (p.172)
"it is true that relationships are a whole lot messier than rules but rules will never give you answers to the deep questions of the heart and they will never love you". (p.198)

2 comments:

Eric said...

I agree Katrina, its an amazing book.

Old Pete said...

I've just been surfing this morning looking for anyone in Sussex who has read The Shack.

I read the book in the summer of 2007 when one of the publishers brought copies of it to the UK.

I'm 73 and I've been living 'outside the walls' of traditional Christianity for over 40 years.

I live in Woodingdean and would love the opportunity of sharing thoughts - here or in the City.

My blog is really an introduction to my web site.

Pete