Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2008

new job!

after years of waitressing, cleaning, and working with small children, this year i decided it was time for a change with regards to a part time job.

so, yesterday, i began something new. i'm now a 'student ambassador', which sounds very grand, but basically means at the moment showing secondary school students around the university and encouraging them to think about higher education. so... campus tours and workshops with 15/16 year olds. It's been good so far, and nice to be doing a job where the time passes quicker and i feel i am learning as i try to relate to and communicate well to these 'young ones'. and man! they really do seem young! funny how you 'grow up' without really realising it and since you're changing along with all your peers you don't notice the changes. But when leading uniform-clad- boys-who-are-still-shorter-than-me across a campus full of colourful (often taller and beard-y if of male variety!) individuals i really do see the difference. that said, i've already been mistaken twice in two days for one of the pupils! Doh!

and at the same time i know i would not have appreciated someone patronising me when i was in year 10. but that's not so likely because part of me doesn't feel much different to Katrina at 15 years old, or even 9. i guess it will be learning to get the balance of embracing the authority that being older gives me to set the tone or the atmosphere - to make people feel valued and comfortable - while not looking down on anyone.

but seriously its made me realise i'm so glad i'm not at school any more! so relieved i'm somewhere where you can find the space to be yourself, where there's no 'popular crew' and you're not looked down on for doing well/doing badly. woop!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

:) Sounds like a great job. Tomorrow afternoon I'm giving a talk to year 10s about enzymes - how they work and why. It's great fun (and apparently I should have been paid for the last one I did, and for this one).
I still struggle with the fact that I'm over a decade older than half my youth group. That is very odd. But then it works the same in the opposite direction, one of the girls really can't believe I'm the same age as her elder brother - apparently I appear much older!