Pages

Thursday 14 January 2010

the 'why' not the 'how'

I confess I wanted to believe life was bigger, larger than my presuppositions. Out there under the cosmos, out in the desert, beneath those billion stars and the umbrella of pitch-black eons of nothingness, on top of that hill, I started wondering if life was something different than I thought it was, if there was some kind of ragin beauty a person could find, that he could get caught up in the why of life. And I needed to believe beauty meant something, and I needed God to step off His self-help soapbox and be willing to say something eternally significant and intelligent and meaningful, more meaningful than the parroted lines from detergent commercials. I needed God to be larger than our free-market economy, larger than our two-for-one coupons, larger than our religious ideas.

From Donald Miller's 'Through Painted Deserts' (p.12). my new book, woopee :-)

No comments: