Pages

Friday 8 April 2011

On writing

I'm reading Stephen King's book 'On Writing'. I can't say I've ever read any of his other books, and to be honest I don't intend to... being someone who's particularly sensitive to any kind of horror/thriller/vaguely scary anything. BUT, I am really enjoying this book which is partly memoir, partly advice on writing, and... I haven't read the rest yet. It's honest, direct, easy to read and has made me laugh out loud several times.

Here's one of my favourite bits in it so far:

"You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair - the sense that you can never completely put on the page what's in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again; you must not come lightly to the blank page".
(p.117-118)


No comments: