Pages

Saturday 21 January 2012

Positive

I'm aware that my blog seems to have a bit of a depressed air about it currently. granted, I have not been the most cheery of people in recent weeks, and I really really don't like winter all that much, and I have been frustrated/bored/restless/wondering-about-the-meaning-of-life-a-lot... BUT there is still plenty to be thankful for and I reckon it's good to dwell on those things too. I was also kind of challenged when reading other people's blogs, and although I'm unlikely to undergo a sudden character change and adapt an 'isn't everything wonderful and let's put flowers on my background' attitude (nothing against those people - the world definitely needs you!), I know I can make more of an effort to 'rise above' some of the things that drag me down (or, as Mr Q helpfully tells me: "OK, now stop being grumpy!").

SO, here are a few things from the past few weeks that made me happy to be alive:

1. New babies!! My good friends John and Fritha have just had a little girl and I met her this week at just 11 days old. She was tiny!! I forgot how small newborns are. And VERY cute. I know some people find babies kind of annoying or boring but I actually think they're amazing, and am quite happy to stare adoringly at them for a long time (slightly awkward when friend is breast-feeding and I am still gazing, soppy eyed?!). They are slightly shell-shocked and recovering from quite a difficult birth, but they are all alive and well and about that I am GLAD. It's exciting to think about this fresh new life, with so many unwritten pages, and to see who she will become. woop.

2. New games!! Last weekend I learnt how to play Poker, and last night I learnt how to play Settlers of Catan. I'd been wanting to learn both for a while, but at the same time, after a childhood of board games being forced upon me every day by my twin sister, they don't usually feature in my plans, or idea of a fun night in. However, I really enjoyed learning both, and am well up for playing more. It's a lot more stimulating than watching TV or another film, and a good way to spend time with people (especially if conversation isn't guaranteed to flow!). Poker had me laughing loads, staying out later than I had done in ages, and generally being encouraged that I haven't lost all of my social skills. Hooray.

3. New diet!! For a number of reasons Mr Q and I aren't eating meat at the moment. Or caffeine, or sweet things, or alcohol, or milk. Oof. Basically anything that we like to eat a lot! So it's meant we have had to venture further into the vegetable/vegetarian world. Which has been pretty good actually, and we've had some awesome meals: a whole lot of aubergine and chickpea curry (thanks to my old housemate, Becky, for that recipe!), and more vegetarian curries at 'Planet India' - a veggie restaurant in Brighton that we went to to celebrate 4 months of marriage (!) - especially good was one with sweetcorn and vine leaves in; and last night I made a scrummy meal from a recipe book with coconut, ginger, red pepper, baby sweetcorn and avocado. mmmm. We're also quite enjoying soya milk - especially with rooibos and vanilla tea. So despite some cravings for chocolate, coffee, and a beer, it's actually been pretty good and i think we're feeling better for it.

So there we go, there's plenty to celebrate. Hope that's got you feeling happier too :-)

No comments: