Pages

Sunday 19 February 2012

Celebrating Basil :-)

Last night we went up to London to a Spurs restaurant for some delicious steak.  It's a popular restaurant in South Africa (I'm not sure if that's where it's originally from...) and the reason we went was to celebrate the birthday of a rather special South African man:  Basil Nicholas Quinn.

I first knew Basil as the boyfriend, then fiance, then husband of my friend Helen.  Actually I didn't really know him until he was hubby as I was away from Brighton the year that he moved down.  Then Basil became my neighbour when he and Helen moved onto the same road as me.  Soon Basil became a good friend, and their flat my second home.  A few months later and I was going out with Basil's brother, so I saw him even more!  I got to know Basil better when we worked together at City Gate Church on Fridays, as we'd set out the chairs for the afternoon tea dance, to the soundtrack of Basil's dubstep.  Then there's been braais and films and drumming and beach trips and beer and card games and dancing round the flat...  Basil has seen the worst of me, the grumpy, the tired, the stressed, the tearful me - and has always been ready with a big hug and the offer of dinner.  And now, as of September, Basil is also my brother!

So there's the background.  And here's the things I love about Basil, which I'm sure are shared by the many people that know him (and if you'd met him, you won't have forgotten it!)

1.  His hugs.  Basil is about three times my size (almost! haha!) and his hugs are the kind that envelope you and make you feel like you can face the day
2.  His generosity.  Don't know many people who are so willing to share what they have with others.
3.  His hospitality.  The door is always open, and Basil seems to gather people wherever he goes.
4. His cooking.  Food is always somewhere in the equation.  He makes a mean rack of lamb.  Plus many other tasty dishes... (way to my heart :-) )
5.  His passion.  When Basil is into something, you know about it.  Like engines.  And that weird instrument he plays to everyone. haha!
6.  His determination.  Massive respect bruv for how hard you work.
7. His knowledge.  About so many random things picked up along his crazy life!
8. His style.  never know what facial hair/tattoos/piercing/hats are gonna appear next!
9.  The crazy way he can talk his way into anything.  Like getting a birthday candle in his steak. !
10.  His dreams.  Can't wait to see them happen.

Those are just a few things, it's hard to put a label on everything when it comes to people.  And I wouldn't want to.  Because Basil Quinn is one of a kind, and it's a privilege to call him family.  Happy Birthday Bas!!!!! x 

No comments: