Pages

Saturday 3 March 2012

Brave

Today I was brave.

I auditioned to sing with Carnival Collective, a pretty amazing Brighton based band composed of varying numbers (but, a LOT) of drums and horns and a selection of other instruments (hear some of their music here ).  If you've been to Glastonbury, or been in Brighton long enough, you've probably seen and definitely heard them!

Anyways I heard they were holding auditions because they hire the hall in the building where I work.  What I didn't realise was that people had either been to a previous practise or received the song and lyrics to learn beforehand.  Kindly they let me come along anyways and do what I could.  I'm not a singer.  I sing... in the shower, and at church on Sundays, which I suppose amounts to a fair bit... but not into microphones/on my own/in front of people.  So this was a first (except for when I shyly auditioned to sing a solo verse in 'Scarborough Fair' in my primary school choir when I was about 7 years old!).  I've always wanted to be in a band though.  And am envious of all those with musical talents.  So while I'm not certain I have any (!) I thought I'd give it a go in the spirit of you-only-live-once-and-you'll-regret-it-if-you-don't-take-the-opportunity.  And perhaps I was vaguely hoping that buried in me is actually a super-star-singer waiting to be released...  Yeh.

So, I tried not to think about it too much, wondered, a bit late this morning, whether I should have eaten/drunk anything special/got up a little earlier to avoid husky-just-got-out-of-bed-voice, donned my green jeans and made my way down to the Centre.

Everyone was very nice and encouraging which was a relief although I kind of expected that or I wouldn't have gone!  I just about learnt the song and practised in a pair with a professional singer who was also auditioning (eek! - bringing all my insecurity about whether I can actually sing in tune at all to the surface and nearly causing me to make a run for it) and then before I knew it was on the microphone attempting to harmonise, stay in time, and trying not to be put off by the sound of my own voice coming through the speakers!  Can't say I did a brilliant job, or that I expect to be asked to be a part of the group (everyone else was brilliant!), but, I did enjoy it and I didn't run away so I am proud!

The day was made even better when my dear friend Joy called as I was finishing to say she was in Brighton briefly so I got to have 5 minutes of hugs, prayers and a quick deep convo-catch-up on London Road with one of my favourite people. YEY.

No comments: