Pages

Friday 11 May 2012

Skipton




For the bank holiday weekend we went up to North Yorkshire for my mum's Godmother's 80th birthday celebrations.  I was born in Halifax in Yorkshire and my mum grew up nearby, but I've actually hardly spent any time in those parts (and my mum was never 'allowed' to have a northern accent by her non-northern parents!).  So I can't say it's home.  But it is really beautiful.  Amazingly the sun shone as we drove over green hills dotted with sheep and along dry stone walls.  After an evening full of good food and wine, I frustratingly found I couldn't sleep in our little travelodge in Skipton.  So I ended getting up earlier than I would normally (!) - especially on a bank holiday weekend - and exploring the little town on the edge of which we stayed.

And the walk pretty made up for lack of sleep because the morning sun was beautiful.  I found a park, a canal full of Jubilee-dressed boats, and some woods with a river running through.  There was also a lot of blossom about which made it even better.  So hooray for exploring new places, with a camera in hand of course.

No comments: