Pages

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Race for Life

In just under two weeks I will be running 5km around Stanmer Park in Brighton to raise money for Cancer Research.  I know lots of people who've taken part in the Race for Life but never done it myself before.  In fact I don't think I've done a sponsored run since primary school.  And I haven't run 5km since secondary school, when I swam almost every day so had plenty of stamina.  These days... the only exercise I really do is the ten minute walk to work and back.  My bike was stolen recently so I barely cycle at the moment.  SO basically... I'm unfit.  And slightly scared.  Yes it's not running a marathon or cycling from John O Groats to Land's End, but it's a challenge for me, and the hope is that it's the first of many more to come.  You gotta start somewhere, hey?

I'm running with my friend Shonagh.  I'm running partly to challenge myself, partly to accompany Shonagh, and partly of course to raise money for Cancer Research.  I doubt there's anyone who's not lost someone they love to cancer.   I remember as a child dreaming of finding the cure.  Doesn't look like I'll be doing that, but at least I can do my little bit.  My Granny died of bowel cancer.  It went undiagnosed for a few months and by then it was too late.  She lived a great life, and wasn't young when she died, but I miss her a lot, so I'm doing it in memory for her.  I'm also running it for the friends I know with parents who have or are fighting cancer.  They are so brave.

If you'd like to sponsor me I'd so appreciate it.  My Justgiving page is HERE

No comments: