Pages

Thursday 9 August 2012

Change change change (or Goodbye City Gate Centre)

OK I know it's easy to say, and perhaps it's been going on for quite a while, but this really is a season of transition!  Besides the fact that we're moving house this weekend (don't panic, just down the road, we're not leaving Brighton just yet!), I've just started a new job at a pub, my parents are re-locating and my sisters are all currently in different continents...  a huge part of the change has been about a building found above what used to be Blockbusters, on London Road.

City Gate Centre - the building which was run by City Gate Church for the past 20 or so years - has now closed.  City Gate Centre has been a big part of my life in Brighton.  I first went there in my second week of living in Brighton, almost 7 years ago.  I went to a Sunday service in my search for a new church, but I have to say was put off my how 1980s everything felt, both the building and the style of worship!  So I didn't go back there for another year, when I was looking for a church again, this time accompanied by some friends, and despite very random services, God spoke, and I kept going.  And now I'm a part of this creative, food-loving, slightly crazy, very mixed bunch that has just moved its home from London Road to North Road.  From September we'll be meeting on a Sunday at Brighthelm Community Centre.  The new season is exciting, but I know everyone is thankful for the space we had to worship, to laugh, to dance, to party together, to pray and plan, and to discover freedom and acceptance.

City Gate Centre hasn't just been about church.  Six years ago I first worked as a cleaner there.  Since then I have both volunteered and worked in the office, and in Circus Pre-school, which was another treasure found in the building.  I've cleaned and buffed the hall floor more times than I can count.  I've opened up, locked up, washed up, made cups of tea, brought in older hirers up on the stairlift, read the meters, sorted the recycling, set up chairs and tables for tea dance, organised keys, answered phonecalls, dealt with interesting characters who wondered up the stairs, laughed with the Alternatives staff and volunteers, eaten biscuits, frozen in winter, boiled in the summer, nearly smashed temperamental computers against the wall, berated the lack of a window in the office, attempted to fix leaks up on the roof, seen lots of little children come up and down the stairs and play and learn and grow in confidence at the Pre-school, photocopied, scanned, faxed, laminated, emailed, cried, stressed, sang and laughed...

AND IT'S TOTALLY NOT JUST ABOUT ME!  There are many many others who could say the same.  Countless people have been a part of transforming City Gate Centre from a musty old Co-op Social Club to a busy community centre, and I really only caught the end of it.  As I've been clearing out the office (and throwing a whole lot beautifully filed documents away!), I realised how much time and effort was put in by previous administrators and office staff and church members and friends to lay down good foundations and keep the Centre running at a high standard.  I know there have been many tears and stresses along the way and I admire those who persevered at working with a sometimes-crumbling building, the inevitable long-winded phone calls with various companies, setting up contracts, financial struggles etc etc.  They deserve a big well done!  And the same goes for the wonderful staff at the Pre-School who created such a warm, welcoming and nurturing environment for a whole variety of children.  It will be missed.

I know it's been an emotional time for a lot of people.  I think after so much time planning and sorting and packing and going through endless inventories and contract lists, I was just pretty desperate to get out!  I don't think it's sunk in yet.  It's definitely been a bit of a love-hate relationship!  But I hand in my keys tomorrow... so perhaps it'll hit me then...

And finally, before I go, there's another big reason why City Gate Centre has been a pretty important part of my life so far.  In September 2008 I first met a dark haired, shy boy in a church service.  We both definitely noticed each other.  Three years later and we were getting married in that very same building - decorated more beautifully than we had ever hoped, with tasty food, wonderful people and lots of dancing.  Hooray.

1 comment:

sketchbooker said...

I was there at the beginning with many memories. But it is definitely time to move on. That's what grown ups do. They move on from the family home and start anew......

Curtis x