Pages

Sunday 5 August 2012

Wakeboarding


 Last weekend we (Hubby, Bro-in-law, Sister-in-law plus friends) went Wakeboarding.  What is that I hear you ask?  Well, think water-skiing but on a snowboard.  And, although you'd usually be pulled along by a boat, at the place where we went to, most people were using a lake that had a kind of wire pulley system with ropes hanging off it that you held onto and were then pulled around the edge of the water. 

We started off on 'knee-boards'- which were body-board sized and had a big strap to put over your lap.  You started off on a platform on the edge of the lake, were handed the end of one of the ropes, and a few moments later were whisked off onto the water.  Sounds like a piece of cake.  That's we thought...  But  let me rephrase.  'Whisked' is too gentle.  There was absolutely nothing gentle about it.  Think yanked, think arms almost out of sockets.  And when I say 'hold on' to the end of the rope, I mean cling on for dear life with every ounce of strength in your body!  It definitely was exhilarating, and I couldn't help wooping as the board smacked the water at what felt like 100mph!  Then came the corner, which I wasn't quite prepared for... the rope went slack, I though 'uh-oh', what's going on... and then sure enough there was a massive jerk as the rope continued along the tracking, and my arms couldn't hold on any longer.  We all came off at the first corner.  The second time we all made it to the next corner.  And eventually, all of us managed to go around the lake at least once.  I couldn't manage more than once because my skinny, weak arms couldn't handle any more than that!  Must get stronger.

We then moved onto the actual wakeboards.  I got to say I was feeling pretty confident.  But my confidence was short lived.  You can see in the photo below, my face is about to collide with the lake.  Ouch.  It was so difficult to keep upright, with arms tensed, when you were pulled off the side with such force.  Added to that, you start off at an angle, rather than going straight ahead.  Needless to say, none of us managed to wakeboard from that starting point.  It was so frustrating to not even be able to get up and on the water!

However, all was not lost.  There was another area with a straight bit of wire to practice on that just went back and forth instead of round in a big loop.  And after one or two tries, I got to stand up the whole way there and whole way back and it was brilliant!  Felt so good, and worth the many many bellyflops and aching arms.

When we hired the equipment for four hours, the staff member raised his eyebrows and wished us luck.  The next morning, we all knew why.  Every single muscle in my body ached.  I could barely move!  We were all hobbling about like old biddies.  It was pretty funny - for people watching!  It was partly that good kind of pain that tells you you really achieved something.  And partly just damn sore.  But a few hot baths and a few days later limbs had recovered.

It was great to get out and try something new.  It reminded me of times back when I lived in Zambia and we used to go out to some of the farmers' dams and swim, fish and water-ski.  Especially since this time I was with a bunch of South Africans and we had a bbq for lunch!  They were some of my best memories, so I was glad to update them.

I think I would try it again, but it really was painful!  I'd like to try doing it behind a boat next time, which some say is harder,  but others argue is easier - especially to get started.  So we'll see.  But if you get the chance, give it a go.





No comments: