Pages

Friday 15 February 2013

Day 3 - The City (first draft)

Arriving I hover
Feet forbidden from touching concrete
An obstruction to the flow
I try to shrink
Invisibilize myself
Mask on: I know where I'm going and what I'm doing and why I'm here
I'm not really looking a googlemaps on my phone
such a FAKER
but if the guard drops then YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE HERE
You will be ejected from chewing gum decorated paving slabs, ricocheted off sparkling window reflections, blinded by fluorescent beams
And sent flying into the Thames -
Swept away from this place
Where you do not belong

I do not belong
They are correct
I do no want to belong
In the stubborn stream of black coats and cases
In the ravenous marble foyers
Inside-out caverns of
Steel and glass
Everything revealed
Everything hidden
Wealth beyond imagining
Indulgent escalators
City masquerade
Tickets to the ball only cost your life and your health
And perhaps your happiness
But it'll be worth it for the swanky napkins and crab sandwiches

Salmon weaving upriver
I cannot stay here



Yesterday I arrived in London at Liverpool Street Station and walked toward Shoreditch, just as everyone was leaving work.  It was a little overwhelming, to say the least!

No comments: