Pages

Friday 22 February 2013

Day 9 - Early vs Late and Food for Friends

Wow this post-a-day thing is a challenge.  I didn't manage yesterday... was admin-ing all day then too tired to face more computer when I got home.  The hubby and I went for a date in the evening as we hadn't managed to hang out on Valentines day, and we haven't gone out together for ages.  Got home at 5 to find hubby all scrubbed up and ready, looking rather dashing might I add.  Here's where we differ - he's ready two hours early and I can pretty much guarantee I'll always be ready five minutes late.  If his friends say they're meeting at 7, most of them will be there at about 6.30.  Whereas my friends would arrive at about 8.30!  And his lot are the South Africans so that pretty much says 'in your face' to stereotypes!  To be honest I don't see much point in being early, it feels like a waste of time to me that could be spent doing other things BUT being late isn't great either and I'm trying to change... but it's clearly not coming naturally to me.  I blame my parents ;-)

Anyways, we went to 'Food for Friends' for dinner.  It's a vegetarian restaurant in the South Laines in Brighton and I'd heard plenty of good things about it, so wanted to try it out before we leave.  I'll be honest, it didn't blow me away, especially when you consider the price you pay (over £50 for two - main course and desert and one drink each).  Having said that, the open ravioli with butternut squash in a creamy saffron and sage sauce was LOVELY and I would happily have it again.  Llewellyn's desert of marscapone, plum and panatone was interesting and tasty too.  The rest didn't really live up to expectation I'd say and portions were small.  And interestingly a couple beside us made such a fuss about the standards having dropped since they last came that they returned their food!  That seemed quite over the top to me, but then we hadn't been before so had nothing to compare it to.  I know others will be shocked because as I said I'd received rave reviews about the place.  Maybe it all depends on the dish, and the night.  The waiting staff were friendly but it took a while to catch their attention!

I suppose we are quite spoiled for choice for places to eat in Brighton, and there's a lot of places that are cheaper and serve equally tasty vegetarian food.  Perhaps the environments aren't so fancy, and it was really nice to get dressed up, so yeh, I don't regret going, but I don't think I'd go again.

Hmm I don't think I've ever given a 'review' of anything before.  Mostly I don't feel like I have enough knowledge or experience to, but then I suppose all us 'ordinary people' are entitled to opinions too! :-)


1 comment:

Heather said...

Enjoyed your description of your special evening out :) So often, one is disappointed when you've looked forward to something with much anticipation!

Guess my kids being ready early is my 'fault' - my having always emphasized the importance of being on time .. lol! Perhaps the Europeans' side of Southern African emphasis on punctuality?

As regards your experiencing disappointment in not receiving the expected culinary value for your meal, in my opinion, it might be a good thing if you contacted the company and let them know how you feel? Even if you don't go back, others would benefit for your bringing this to their attention? Just a thought!

Glad however, that you both had a good evening out, and enjoyed a few of the dishes provided.

The picture sure suggests that the food would be good ...

Oh, life ...
... but, I agree, you're in a great place to chose places to enjoy a good meal :) ..