Pages

Saturday 30 March 2013

Brightonhappydancingtimes

Last night we went out for our (probably) last night in Brighton for a while.  It was fun.  A whole bunch of us hung out at The Duke of Wellington pub, where I've been working since the summer, and then I went out dancing with a few girlies.  We went to the Green Door Store and wiggled our hips to Afrobeat music along with the usual random cross-section of people that you often find when out in Brighton.  I'd never danced at that venue before, but it reminded me of some of the many happy dancing times I've had in this city.  The amazing range of music and clubs in Brighton is definitely something I'll miss, even though I haven't had so much time/energy/money lately to properly make the most of it.  Before I came to Brighton I lived in Oxford, and pretty much only danced to Rnb/Hip Hop - which I still love, but I've now sampled a whole lot more :-)

I'll leave Brighton with a whole bucket full of dancing memories. ...

Starting with my first night out on Fresher's Week in 2005: 80's night at what was then the Beach club and is now Coalition, when I decided not to hold back, danced my heart out, and continued to do so from that day on.  

Working up a sweat in the basement of Casablanca to Funk on Wednesdays and the brilliant Brazilian band on Thursdays

Experiencing my first taste of Drum and Bass with Andy C at Ocean Rooms, sweat dripping off the ceiling, attempting to copy people's moves

Going to reggae nights at Volks with my flatmate Jo, wearing all the wrong clothes!

Weekly 'Urban' nights at Saqqara, pretending to be from London

A random African night on Ship Street where a group of Zimbabwean acrobats suddenly appeared and did a crazy routine dressed in zebra print loin cloths

Reggaeton at Po Na Na

University International Development Society fundraisers with my housemates where we danced our socks off to jungle and all sorts of beats I'd never heard before and everyone thought we'd taken drugs

Walking out of a drum and bass night at Coalition straight out onto the beach and running down to the sea, the sky getting light with morning

Audio Audio Audio

Attempting salsa at various clubs

Breakdance society socials and battles at Honey Club

making the long walk down to Conchorde 2 in my bright blue coat for some grimey bassssss

Raving hard to Ringo Starr, DJ Marky, and dirrty electro house

Glamourous electro swing with Shona, one of my dancing partners who I'll greatly miss

And more recently... Swing dance at the Mesmerist and bopping around to Prodigy behind the bar at the pub!

I'm sure there's a whole lot more, but I'm smiling to think of all those dancey times, and so thankful for friends who don't care what they look like on the dancefloor either!!




No comments: