Pages

Saturday 27 July 2013

Treen

I want to tell you about a new favourite place.  I've been there twice in the last couple of weeks, once with my friend Amber, and then again with my family because it was so beautiful I just had to show them.  I should say credit goes to Cassie, a girl I work with, who recommended the area.

So, just in case you are down this way, I'll tell you where to go, but keep it kind of quiet, OK? :-)

Drive towards Porthcurno, and turn off at Treen a little way before you get there.  Treen is a tiny village with a really peaceful feel.  You can park for £2 at the end of the road in a field, which is next to a cute little cafe (nice ice-creams!).  The first time we went there were lots of campervans parked there, which I made me wish once again that we had one.  But when we get a tent I think we'll have to camp there some time.

Take the path in the left corner of the car park and cross some fields then enter a wooded area.  The path takes you down to Penberth, a tiny cove with fishing boats which again feels amazingly tranquil.  When I went with Amber the sea was so still and blue and clear we just had to have a dip, even though we had only just begun our walk.  Other people passing through had the same idea.

Once you've spent enough time there, climb the path on the right of the cove, heading south west over the top of the cliffs.  It's a bit of a climb, but worth the views that you get.  Isn't it gorgeous?!!


 As you walk along, be prepared for some stunning views... don't forget to bring a camera.  You might get to make friends with some ponies, or spot some butterflies hovering in the heather.
 I could just imagine a pirate ship docking in the bay below.  The rocks on the left are (I think) called Logan's Rock.


Definitely turn off the path to walk down to them because the view around the corner is even more amazing...   The furthest beach is Porthcurno and to the right of it on the cliffs is the Minnack Theatre.  I was so excited about the colour of the sea, felt like we were in the Caribbean or something!  As the tide goes out, you can walk from Porthcurno to the neighbouring beaches.



Porthcurno gets very busy so we decided to try out the first beach we came to, which is called Pednvounder.  At first glance it looks impossible to get to, but there is a path.  It's pretty steep and there's a little climb at the end but by the looks of the ages of people down on the beach, it's do-able by most!


I should also inform you that it is a nudist beach.  Well I'd say half the beach were naked, so as long as you're OK with some brown bottoms and dangly bits then it's definitely worth it because the beach is lovely and the sea amazing to swim in.  As you can see the tide is going out revealing sand banks, making it look even more stunning.

After climbing up out of the beach (we were getting hungry - on both occassions actually - must remember to bring walking snacks!) you can carry on to Porthcurno and beyond if you're feeling energetic, or head back to Treen over the fields.

And there you have it.  A beautiful walk, and plenty of chances to swim in the sea.  Hooray hooray!





No comments: