Pages

Sunday 20 October 2013

Quakers and Surfing

Today I went to a Quaker Meeting for the first time.  I've often thought about going to one and never quite got round to it.  I was saying to hubby last night how I wanted to go to something quiet and reflective on a Sunday, and he reminded me to see if there was a Quaker meeting close by.  Turns out there is - in Marazion and Penzance.  I went to Penzance, mainly because I know where to park.

It was pretty much as you might expect if you've heard anything about Quakerism - people sat in a circle in silence for an hour with occasional interjections/reflections shared by some there.  Apart from worrying I'd fall asleep and fall off my chair (which apparently has happened!), I appreciated the time of stillness.  After that there was more talking and sharing and coffee and general welcoming.

I don't know much about Quakers, but I know they are big into Peace and serving others.  So that makes them worth checking out in my book.  I like the fact that they strip everything back and keep it simple.  This is a section from their 'Advices and Queries' book:

Worship is our response to an awareness of God.  We can worship alone, but when we join with others in expectant waiting we may discover a deeper sense of God's presence.  We seek a gathered stillness in our meetings for worship so that all may feel the power of God's love drawing us together and leading us. (point 8)

I'm not great at sitting still and my mind wonders like a crazy thing, but I would like to learn to be better at silence, at meditating and at focusing.  My main thoughts that had any sense of direction happened to be about surfing - which I spent 3 hours attempting to do yesterday.  It was a lot of fun and a beautiful day, but I was quite frustrated as I kept seeming to nose dive.  I was wondering today if perhaps that was because I was always looking down rather than ahead.  So my body followed my eyes.  I thought if I had held my head up instead and focused on where I wanted to get to, that I might have balanced better...

...which made me think about life, and how I often end up looking down at my feet, and then I sink.  Like Peter walking on water - when he took his eyes of Jesus and looked at the waves around him, he lost faith and sank.  Yes maybe this is all a bit cliche but it's where I'm at.  I've been looking at the negatives, stopped being thankful for things, felt myself sinking, wanted to give up.  I want to look up, look ahead.  It's scarier, it feels safer to look down to be honest.  But perhaps I need to trust myself a little more and trust God a lot more.  Perhaps then, I'll surf to the shore.


3 comments:

Adam said...

Hi Kat

Have you heard of Julian meetings? I just joined a group. Look into it I think you'll enjoy it.

Adam

Daniel Allen said...

Hi there! I'm a Quaker from Ontario who just happened to come across your page and felt like commenting to say I appreciate your image of looking at one's feet and sinking- it doesn't seem at all cliche to me. Very apt.

And I'll try to remember that, for when I'm visiting Maui this December (!!!) and trying to surf for the first time. :)

Our "Advices and Queries" has one which reminds me of surfing, as well: "Live adventurously. When choices arise, do you take the way that offers the fullest opportunity for the use of your gifts I the service of god and the community? Let your life speak. When decisions have to be made, are you ready to join with others in seeking clearness, asking for God’s guidance and offering counsel to one another?"

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip Adam, I'd not heard of Julian meetings but just looked it up and although there aren't any listed for all the way down here, I'll keep an eye out. :-)

Thanks for the comment Daniel, enjoy surfing, it's such a good feeling just being out in the waves - even if it takes a while to get up! And that's a great quote too...