Pages

Saturday 5 July 2014

If I met a cocoa farmer (I won a poetry competition!)

I entered the Divine chocolate and Christian Aid poetry competition right at the last minute.  OK so it's not the most renowned competition, but the subject was interesting (see post title), and I'm trying to get more proactive about writing, so this seemed like a good start.

And, total surprise, I WON! Am pretty chuffed. Plus I got lots of chocolate sent to me :-)

Here is the judge and children's writer, Philip Ardagh, reading my poem.  Words are underneath.




If 

If our paths should cross one day
I’m not convinced
That my words wouldn’t melt away
We are worlds apart
Are there any bridges big enough?

If our hands should clasp
I wonder what I’d feel
Weathered fingers
Friends of the soil
Tips sensitive to the story of each leaf
And the lines on his wife’s cheek

If our eyes should meet
What dreams would I see
He dreams beans!
He laughs and the eyes crinkle
Like silver foil
A gaze full of intention
To see that today
Life continues to grow

If our voices were to combine
How would it taste?
He leaves the bitterness to the cocoa beans
(Whereas I am too quick to turn sour)
There is a depth of flavour to his words
A lifetime of reflection
Upon the rhythm of the seasons
Has aged him well

If one day
We might embrace
 I’d inhale sweat-scent
Infused
With the cycles of tending, fending, fermenting, gathering
And catch a glimpse of a strength
That only a farmer’s wife can truly know

If our paths should cross one day
Perhaps we could sit and share
That ridiculous treasure
That binds us together
And in that moment
When more than words
 are melting in our mouth

We’ll pause
And smile
Together

No comments: