Pages

Sunday 9 November 2014

A weekend in Exeter

Last weekend I went to Exeter.

Partly to have a break from Penzance and make the most of taking some annual leave, partly to see my little sister who studies there, partly to catch up with a a few other friends who live there, and partly because I'd never actually been into the city before.

The megabus leaves at 5am from Penzance and cost me £7 to get there. It saved me pennies and meant I had all of Saturday in Exeter (I arrived at 9am), but when my alarm clock went off at 4am - and when I was failing to sleep on the bus - I wasn't sure that saving money was all that worth it!

It was that weekend when the seasons properly changed. Saturday was the warmest start to November on record (or something like that!). My friends, Annah and Mike, have a gorgeous home that properly makes the most of sunshine, I must admit I'm a little jealous, but they've worked very hard to make it so lovely.





After brunch we headed out to Dartmoor, because apart from my sponsored 13 mile night hike earlier in the year, I've not spent much/any time there. As Mike predicted, it has it's own weather system - so we left the sunshine of Exeter and battled with the cold wind and threatening clouds on top of a Tor or two. I took some photos for Annah and Mike's new website which was fun (well fun for me and possibly a bit embarrassing for them; they aren't really the posing type! But they are a pair of stunners... and we were the only ones up there braving the wind!).

Do check out their site though, of all the people I know, Annah and Mike really live out their passions for eating well, yoga, music - among other things - and have a lot to share and inspire others with. I lived with Annah eight years ago (ah! that makes me feel old!) and even back then she was making spirolina smoothies and putting us other students to shame with her healthy ways! :-)




After some local ale in a Dartmoor pub, we drove back to the city. I napped on the sofa, we ate some more tasty food, and then we headed into town or a drink (or two or three...). It was nice to be out somewhere different and in places that have made an effort on how they look! Like the Rusty Bike.

On Sunday after a much needed lazy morning (life has been a bit non-stop recently, plus the 4am start the day before!), I headed into the city centre. After a length of time in Penzance, cities inspire wide eyes and wonderment -at the amount of people, at the 'shininess', at the choice of shops, at the numerous inviting cafes... I managed not to spend (much) money and enjoyed catching up with some friends for coffee before heading to my sister's place.



We went out for pizza at the Firehouse (goats cheese, nom!) talked lots, and I took her to a poetry night at the Bike Shed Theatre where I performed in the slam. She fell asleep on my shoulder. Haha! We are definitely sisters - pros at falling asleep in all sorts of inappropriate places :-) I should say though, she'd spend the weekend running across Dartmoor in army gear, so she did have an excuse for being tired! "Spokes Amaze" takes place on the first Sunday of the month, and although the audience was pretty quiet for a slam night, the poetry performed was all very enjoyable. And, as I said in my last post, it's resulted in another performance for me! :-)

On Monday Eleanor took me around the University campus before I caught the train home. It was good to see where she's based. It is all very beautiful, but felt quite small, think it could quickly feel a little claustrophobic! (She says, living in a small town on a skinny stretch of land...!!)

The train home was much more pleasant than the bus journey up. Autumn leaves, green, rain-washed fields, several rainbows! I didn't even fall asleep because I was enjoying it so much, which must be a first.

So... that was my mini-city-break. Much needed and much enjoyed. Thanks Exeter :)

No comments: