Pages

Sunday 11 January 2015

2015: leaving and being


2015! Can you believe it?! Halfway through the "teens". Is that what we call them?

Fifteen years since I watched the sunrise from a hill in Zambia to greet the new millennium all 13-years-old, blonde, awkward and spotty.

Ten years since I was in the last months of sixth-form, waiting to find out what university I'd go to, slightly less blonde, awkward and spotty.

And now, (purple, occasionally awkward and annoyingly suddenly spotty again!), here I am in the same situation. Except it's my husband who's waiting to find out which universities accept him - and I of course am very affected by the outcome since we do intend to continue living life together, you'll be pleased to know.

We didn't set out last year to plan to leave Cornwall this year.


It's just kind of come to this all of a sudden. Mr Q only started studying in September, unsure of how it was all going to be, and within months he's had an interview, been offered a place, and got more interviews lined up. Madness!

So although it might seem that way, we weren't secretly planning all this change, more like flowed into it. And I'm still getting my head round it. Can you tell I'm feeling a bit guilty? Guilty about leaving another place (even though we never promised to stay, never thought it would be for more than a handful of years).  I've realised I've had a leaving party roughly every three years since I was 12. Well not guilty, actually, just aware that people can get offended and hurt by people leaving. And not wanting to cause that or seem like we don't care about this place or the people we've met here. We're not running away (like we nearly did last year!). I'm glad we didn't and I think we'll end on a good note. And as much as I am looking forward to being nearer friends and family in the rest of the country, I do have friends here too. And I'm sure I'll miss the southwest of the South West more than I expect.

So, I'm determined to make the most of the next few months here.

Spending more afternoons like today - gathered with creative people in a pub sharing poems and stories and thoughts about all things New. It was grand. And helping fulfil a friend's resolution of swimming across the harbour to Newlyn without dying. And stuff like that :-)

I didn't plan for this to be a "hi everyone we're leaving" post. Ah well... Sorry if we haven't told you face to face yet...

I was going to write about our time away and reflect on 2014, etc. In summary I'd say I'm thankful. By December I was totally exhausted which clouded my perception and brought tears for not much reason at all and made me feel a little blah about the year. It wasn't until last weekend when I was writing some good old lists of stuff that happened last year and stuff I think's important for this year, that I was hit again by just how much did happen.

New flat, new church, new jobs for both of us, new friends, new god daughter
First full time full on job for me, first time studying for Llewellyn, first times to Lyon and Paris

No wonder I was tired! :-)


I've tried to define my aims and resolutions for this year but I'm struggling. Perhaps just making the most of each day is enough to go on for now...

On a spiritual level, hubby and I were sat in church last Sunday wondering what it's all about. What it actually means to live out this faith we are still holding on to. Then I happened to read Hebrews 13 and I think it gives a pretty good list to try to live by. I especially like that it's tangible and practical and that it follows on from a chapter about believing in things you can't see, and hoping in things you're not sure of.

So here's some great and challenging ways for living that I'd like to be present in my life this year:

  • Love people - as if they were family
  • Be hospitable to strangers
  • Remember people in prison
  • Honour marriage
  • Avoid the love of money
  • Be content with what you have
  • Trust that God has said He's with you, and so don't be afraid
  • Respect and learn from elders/leaders
  • Praise God - by being thankful and sharing with others


Happy New Year, friends.




No comments: