Pages

Sunday 15 February 2015

Living simply, the details



The other week I talked about living more simply and creating a capsule wardrobe. I packed a load of clothes away into a suitcase at the time but over the past few weeks I've been whittling down a bit more, as I realise I can still do with less and want to make it more challenging.

At the same time I'm not being super strict or religious about it, the point isn't to make it a stressful thing!

So, if anyone happens to be interested, here's more or less what I've settled on for the next two or three months:



5 tops
2 pairs of jeans
1 denim skirt
1 plain black short skirt
3 dresses
3 jumpers
2 cardigans (lots of wool! I get pretty cold!)
1 blazer

3 pairs shoes
1 coat
1 hat
1 woolly scarf
2 other scarves
1 belt
3 bags (1 tiny for going to the pub, 1 medium favourite leather satchel, 1 fits-everything-you-need-for-a-day-or-two)

I started taking photos of the clothes and accessories included, but part of simplifying life for me right now is prioritising, and I reckoned this wasn't top of the list right now! :-)

Not included in this list is a few pairs of leggings/tights and vest tops to go underneath stuff for warmth, jewellery (but I've also put most of it away in a box, just leaving out a couple of necklaces and a few pairs of earrings), exercise/outdoor-y stuff (not that it's used very often currently!), PJs and a onesie. I think that's about it.

I know for some people that's still a lot of stuff! But it's quite a big difference to what I had kicking around in my cupboards before and for someone who really likes variety, I think I've done OK!


I'm enjoying the process so far, having one drawer of clothes that's easy to shut, and less choices to make when I'm running late and need to get out the door fast. I know I've not actually got rid of the rest of my clothes, but I'm sure this will help me pass quite a few things on when I come to reviewing the wardrobe in Spring. And it's making me think about what else in life I can simplify or de-clutter.

A lot of what I keep hold of in terms of possessions has sentimental/emotional value and while I don't think I'm going to be chucking out all my photo albums, jewellery or old journals all in one go, I'm sure there are things I can let go of. Knowing that we'll be moving house again in a few months is a good incentive to consider what is really important and what can be left behind...

No comments: